Monday, May 5, 2008

Day 3: Our last day in Rome

Well today was our last day in Rome. It is just after 11 here and I am really tired. I must have walked 20 miles in the last three days and my feet hurt something awful. But it was worth it.

Today was Vatican City day. That is all I had planned for today, which is lucky since we had so much backtracking to do from losing all our great photos from Saturday. We had a guide on Saturday for the Palantine Hill who was great and she said she was doing tours on Monday at the Vatican so we got up early and met up with her. Her name was Jill and she was from North Carolina. She is in Rome doing a Theology PhD and so obviously knows a bunch about the Vatican. We met up with her and she told us to meet up at this cafe across the street to meet up with the group. While Jason got us all signed up, I got us some cappuccino. I am so proud of Jason for drinking coffee with me!

Just a funny random thing...when I was at the bar getting coffee, I am listening to the music. Most of the time they play American music everywhere, but I am listening thinking 'what song is this? I know this!'. Then I suddenly realize it is the Never Ending Story song! Do you guys know what I am talking about? "Never ending stooooorrrryyyyyyy. Ahhhhhhhhhhh...." Anyone? I used to love that movie. Just was so random to hear that song at a cafe in Rome.

Anyhow...we then went on our tour of the Vatican Museum. Now, I said before, tours are the way to go and this just confirmed my thoughts. I would totally recommend tours for anywhere you have never been that has lots of info and history. First, we got to skip the line. =) Second, there is SO much to learn about all the paintings and the painters themselves. There is no way I would have learned half of what I learned today without this guide. There are even tons of scandalous stories about the 'behind the scenes' stories of the paintings and their muses. After the museum we went through the Sistine Chapel. It was AMAZING. I mean to think that Michelangelo did this almost all on his own over six years is crazy. It is so beautiful and interesting to learn the different meanings of each scene. You aren't supposed to take pictures, but we sneaked a couple. Our tour guide said the pope himself told her he didn't care. Apparently some Japanese company paid for the restoration and have the copyright so they don't want you taking pictures. Which is why the pope doesn't care. =) She also told us the Pope loves to watch the Simpsons. I thought that was hilarious.

After that we went to St. Peter's Basilica. Oh. My. Gosh. This church is huge and that is an understatement. I think she said it was the biggest church in the world. I don't care what religion you are, this is literally awe inspiring. You think Prestonwood Baptist is big? Forget it. It would fit in St. Peters pulpit. It also holds Michelangelo's famous Pieta. Beautiful.

Next up was lunch, cause we were super hungry. We went back to the Colosseum area and had a panino. I have eaten my weight in Salami so far. It is so delicious. =) Then we basically retraced our steps from Day 1 and took a bunch of pictures hoping to recoop our loss. After that we grabbed an espresso and dessert then headed back to the hotel to make dinner out of the rest of our feast from the night before. Did we do that backwards? =)

So basically to recap, we have seen a LOT of Rome in three days. For those who know me, you know I am sort of a plan everything out type of girl and those who have been to Disney World with me think that is an understatement. We only got a little over 1/2 of what I had planned accomplished, BUT we still saw a lot and had a great time and I am not sweating it. We will just have to come back is all. Not that I need an excuse for that. After all, Rome and I are in love. =)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am glad there was another good day to read about on here after your bad day. Jared told me about your camera and I was so sad for you. Sounds like you guys made the best of it though! Love and miss yall!

Driving Up to Mount Cook

After a wonderful and too short time in Wellington, the next morning we boarded a plane to Queenstown.  Now, the whole time we had either be...