Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ike is Gone, Baby, Gone

I was in Tyler this past weekend while Hurricane Ike was on the rampage. Friday night we watched as it rolled in to Galveston. The news was reporting anyone that stayed in Galveston who lived in a single person home faced 'certain death'. Pretty bold statement when there was a reported 20,000 people who decided to ride it out. I understand the need to make people take things seriously, and there were around 30 deaths, but out of 20K? - I would say the odds were pretty good. I feel like the media cried wolf on this one and maybe next time even less people will evacuate and it could be a lot worse. Who knows. I mean those people who stayed are not very smart in my opinion anyway, but that's beside the point.

So I was in Tyler visiting the parents and siblings on Saturday when Ike came to visit East Texas. It rained and was really windy all day, but not too bad honestly. We lost power about 2pm, but luckily my dad had a generator so we could still watch TV and had the fridge running and they even had a little mini stove to plug in. So we were ok. We just watched the news most of the day and then that night we watched Gone, Baby, Gone on DVD. Now, I saw this movie in the theater and thought it was so dang good that I told mom it might be a good thing for us all to watch. I warned them it was a pretty heavy movie, but as long as they were down for that, so was I. I still think this movie is so great. Great actors, great script, interesting storyline, just wonderful. Amy Ryan got an oscar nod for her role last year, but in my opinion, the whole movie was not given the attention it should have gotten last year. I mean No Country for Old Men? Come on. It had some great acting and was very well done, but I hardly know anyone who came out of it saying 'man that was the most amazing movie I have seen all year!'. Of course, that is just my opinion, but the basic point is Gone, Baby, Gone was wonderful and you should see it.

Sunday we got up to survey the damage. We were still without power, but the weather had done a 180 and was just gorgeous. It was clear and the sky was blue and the temperature was down right fall-like. We didn't have any trees down in our yard, just a lot of big limbs, but pretty much every neighbor had a big tree that had fallen. One of the neighbors had one fall on their house and destroy the roof. The men in the family went down to my dad's land to see what had happened to the trees there and so the women decided to go see The Women. The movie was cute, funny, and kept my interest, but the main thing I got from it was I MISS MEG RYAN! What happened to her? She looks great and was great in the movie and I need to see her in more chick flicks. Hollywood, are you listening? I hope so. I also love Annette Bening. She is always greatness in my book.

So I am now back in Dallas, where there was barely any hurricane type weather from what I hear. My parents STILL don't have power, or didn't as of last night, but hopefully they will soon. Are you listening TXU? =)

1 comment:

Dub said...

the ones that stayed have evacuated now there was no wolf crying its bad

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/09/the_short_but_eventful_life_of.html

http://www.jakeabby.com/cb/

it will be years before they get anything back if at all. But this happend to mainly white/hispanic people so we aren't seeing much of the aftermath on the news.

Driving Up to Mount Cook

After a wonderful and too short time in Wellington, the next morning we boarded a plane to Queenstown.  Now, the whole time we had either be...