Friday, August 28, 2009

Destin

My parents recently bought a house, along with three other couples, in Destin, FL. We have been going to Destin almost every year for vacation since I was little. I think it is probably one of the most popular beach destinations in the US because I feel like everyone I know has been a million times too. And why not? The sand is white (usually), the water is blue (usually), the weather is good (you got it, usually), and the seafood is delicious (always!). So anyway, we had planned to go last week and take Bella on her first beach vacation. She was only 4 months and so she wasn't allowed to wear sunscreen, which meant she would basically have to stay in this little UV protective tent we bought her. We also bought a portable fan to try to keep her cool. Well, if you can tell from this pic, she wasn't very happy in the heat...


So I think she was on the beach a total of 30 minutes and we decided maybe next year would be better to try her first beach time. So Jason and I took turns going to the beach and one day my mom was nice enough to let us have a whole day to ourselves on the beach while she babysat. I got nice and sunburned, since my skin barely sees the light of day every anymore, but it was a great time.

It was definitely a different trip than I am used to. We usually rent a condo on the beach where you can walk out on your balcony and see the water. So I kind of missed that, but it was still fun. Their house is in the Sandestin community for those who know it, and it is right by all these restaurants and shops and stuff. We ate breakfast at Another Broken Egg which was amazing. Try the blueberry jumbo pancake. YUM. It rivals Kerbey Lane, and if you know my love for KL, you know that statement is not made lightly. We also went to this place called the Beach Walk Cafe one night on a double date with Amanda and Jared. If you are a foodie and you go to Destin, you must go here. It. Was. Delectable. It was one of those places where the service was impeccable and the waiter really knew everything about the food, wine, you name it. Everything is bought fresh daily and made fresh daily and is just so good. We had fried oysters to begin with. Then Jason had a steak that he said might be the best steak he has ever had. And for dessert. Hold on I need a minute to reflect upon it. Mmmmmm. We had a banana creme pie that can only be described as a revelation. Every bite made my mouth so happy. =) Anyway, all I can say is eat there. You will see.

So we have been back about a week now and Bella went to get her shots this morning. She was so upset and I hate to hear her cry like that. But the doc said she is doing great. She weighs 14 lb 9 oz now and is in the 90% in height. So she is definitely on her way to that ballet scholarship at Juliard! =) (Bella when you read this in 20 years, I am just kidding. A basketball scholarship is also perfectly acceptable. ;) )

Here is another pic of Bella at the beach in her cute hat...

No comments:

Driving Up to Mount Cook

After a wonderful and too short time in Wellington, the next morning we boarded a plane to Queenstown.  Now, the whole time we had either be...