Sunday, December 26, 2010

Third Annual Top 10 Song List

Wow. That is all I can say for this year in music. There were SO many good songs on the radio, I had a really hard time narrowing down what my absolute favorites were. I went back and forth and back again trying to make sure I wasn't leaving off something. As I am writing this I thought of another song I missed! Ugh, well, I may have a longer list of honorable mentions than I usually do, but without further ado, here they are. My top ten songs of 2010. I hope you will give them a listen!

10. Fallin' and Flyin' - Jeff Bridges from Crazy Heart - Jason and I saw Crazy Heart on our cruise in May and the music in this film was just great. I don't know why they can't write tunes like this for the radio. But I seriously love this line 'Funny how fallin' feels like flyin'...for a little while'. So true.

9. The Writer - Ellie Goulding - This song was on the target in Entertainment Weekly, and I had a hard time finding it online - not sure if it is on iTunes yet or not - but it was worth the search. It is such a beautiful ballad with great lyrics.

8. Crying Lightning - Arctic Monkeys - This song always has me grooving in my seat in the car. It is kind of a strange and freaky song about loving someone who is totally wrong for you. Haven't we all done that really?

7. The Cave - Mumford and Sons - I really liked Little Lion Man when it came out. Jason and I always would check the radio station when it came on if Isabella was in the car, to make sure it would be the censored version. =) So I got the album and I think this song is by far my favorite song on there. I love M&S's sound. How it is a little bit country (or bluegrass) and a little bit rock n roll. My favorite line? "Cause Iiiiiiiiiiii need freedom now, and Iiiiiiiiiiiii need to know how, to live my life as it's meant to be." I just feel it in my whole body.

6. The House That Built Me - Miranda Lambert - This song makes me cry every time I hear it. I am one of those super nostalgic people. Like when I go to stay in a hotel for a week on vacation, when I leave I have to give it one last look and feel a little ache in my heart to be leaving a place that I spent a week of my life. Weird right? But you can imagine how I feel about the house I grew up in. I still dream about that house when I dream of being home. We moved out when I was in middle school and yet that is still what my mind has in it as my house. I even dream about buying that house back some day. Again, weird right? But when I listen to this song, it makes me remember every detail of that house and just has me in a puddle by the end.

5. Justin Bieber - Never Let You Go - LOL, did you think I was serious? Sorry, I had to make sure you were still paying attention. I am proud to say I had to google JB to find the name of a song he sings.

The REAL #5. Something Beautiful - Needtobreathe - I bought this album at the beginning of the year and never listened to anything but this one song. My friend KC finally convinced me to listen to the whole thing, and it is a really great album. Through Smoke is especially convicting to me, but I still think this is my favorite song on there. The line that gets me when I am feeling less than worthy of God's love - "I know that I'm in reach, cause I am down on my knees, and waiting for...something beautiful".

4. Cosmic Love - Florence and the Machines - Heard this song on SYTYCD and it had me. I have listened to it, oh, maybe a million times this year. Nothing really to say about it other than it is just beautiful.

3. Help I'm Alive - Metric - Again, nothing deep to say on this one, but I LOVE it. If I listened to Cosmic Love a million times, then I listened to this one two million.

2. ONE - Yeasayer - The battle for the number one spot was a tough one. I could not get enough of this song this year. When it would surprise me on the radio, it was like Christmas. Even though I had it on my iPhone. Don't you find a song is so much better when it comes on the radio unexpectedly than when you play it deliberately? Anyway, I almost made this song number one. It's name would certainly have made it an obvious choice, but ultimately the number one spot went to.......

1. Sleepyhead - Passion Pit - I heard this song once described as munchkins on acid singing. It is an apropos description, but something about this song, I. JUST. LOVE. I love the music, the lyrics, the beat, the fact that I have no idea what the words in the opening mean, or if they are even in any language, but I LOVE it. I would highly recommend you listen to it a few million times.

Well, that is it. Disappointed? Did I leave off your favorite song of the year? Leave me a comment and tell me what yours was! Like I said, there were so many that didn't make the list that I loved, so here is my honorable mention list, in no particular order...

Chris Tomlin - Our God, Mates of State - Second Hand News, Christina Perri - Jar of Hearts, Miike Snow - Animal, Sleigh Bells - Tell 'Em, Tim McGraw - Mr. Whoever You Are, Taylor Swift - Back to December

Happy New Year!!

2 comments:

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda said...

I very much enjoyed your song list and other 3 posts I hadn't read yet. Especially the one with pictures of me. JK! Let's go to Disney World now, k? K.

Driving Up to Mount Cook

After a wonderful and too short time in Wellington, the next morning we boarded a plane to Queenstown.  Now, the whole time we had either be...