Monday, May 4, 2009

Taking a breather

Good morning everyone. I finally have a few minutes to check email and blog a bit. Isabella is threatening to wake from her nap but I am hoping it will pass. =)

So motherhood is great and Isabella is amazing, but it is HARD. People tell you the first few weeks are hard, but this is seriously the hardest thing I have ever done. Nursing is still not going great so that adds to the frustration for sure, but we are working on it! Jason's mom came for a few days last week to help and my mom is back for a few days now. It is SO much easier when there is someone else around. Just to be able to hand her off to someone so I can shower or whatever is so nice. I had my first taste of being home alone with her for two days last week and it was definitely trying. I think one thing I am doing wrong is just not sleeping during the day like I should. I have never been much of a napper and I don't do well with just sitting around, so when she is sleeping I always feel like I should be doing something. But I am trying to just make myself take long naps, even when I don't feel super tired. I think that has helped in the last couple of days, because today I feel pretty good.

We are working on getting Bella on a better schedule. She is starting to do better about going right to sleep at night, but she usually has a couple of nap times where she really fights going to sleep and sometimes doesn't sleep at all until her next feeding. The hardest thing is trying to find answers or solutions to problems in any book or online. I read so much before she was born about what to do to get them to sleep well and nurse well and all this other stuff, but you find one opinion about how to do things and you will find ten other books saying the exact opposite. Wake her every three hours/never wake a sleeping baby. Let them cry it out/rush to their side the minute they start fussing. Rock them to sleep/put them in bed before they fall asleep. Who knows? I am just trying different things right now to see which works best for us. If any of you moms out there have any advice feel free to pass it along!

1 comment:

Barb said...

You're doing a good job. :) Hang in there and it will ALL get much easier. Every single morning Brian would say, "Make sure you get a nap today." I know it's hard, but you'll notice a big difference in the way you feel. Nursing will get much easier, too. Multitasking will take on a whole new meaning! It took a good 2 months before I was really good at/comfortable with it. Then by 3 mos., it was smooth sailing. The time will pass quickly, even though it's hard to believe now. Nursing is hard work, but pays off. Good for you for sticking with it. :)

Driving Up to Mount Cook

After a wonderful and too short time in Wellington, the next morning we boarded a plane to Queenstown.  Now, the whole time we had either be...