Monday, April 21, 2008

Go Sox! (Don't tell Jason I said that)

Alright, sorry it took me a bit to get to the next part of our trip...

So Saturday we sleep in and really were super lazy until about noon. We ordered room service for breakfast, which is always outrageously expensive and not usually that good anyway, but for some reason when I am on vacation it feels so luxurious to have someone literally bring you breakfast in bed.

We had tickets for the Red Sox/Yankees game. Jason has been a huge Yankees fan forever so it was seriously lucky that they were playing the Sox this weekend. I, however, refused to wear any Yankee paraphernalia because I did not wish to get pummeled, yelled at or even a mean glance from a die hard Sox fan. My affinity for the Yankees is not that great. So we headed out that way on the T so we could eat and have a look around for a bit before the game started. I think we walked in every direction BUT toward the ballpark before we figured out where we were, but we finally found our way and decided to grab a bite at this place called Cask N Flagon. It was packed but we found a table and had some actually pretty tasty food and a few beers. Then we headed in to Fenway early so Jason could walk around. He really wanted to see the Green Monster and something about a green seat? Or maybe it is red, sorry to all you Sox fans, I just don't remember.

So we go in and I immediately love it. They have yummy local food for concessions, including a Dunkin Donuts. I got a huge large coffee to keep me warm, then we headed up top of the Green Monster. Now, we walk up what might have been two flights of stairs to find ourselves at the very top of the ballpark! Now, people from Texas stay with me. We are used to Rangers Stadium, Minute Maid Park and Kyle Field for goodness sake...this looked like a high school stadium! Ok, I am exaggerating, but this park is the smallest one I have ever seen! And when I say these things, please don't think I am being negative. It made for one of the best baseball experiences ever. It was such an intimate way to attend the game. We were able to walk from the top of the outfield to behind home base in about a minute and watched the players warm up and interact with the fans. I mean the first row of seats are practically ON the field. It was very cool. So even us with 'bad' tickets were really close and had a great view. Then, in the eighth inning it started raining and they postponed the game, but we were under the awning so we didn't get wet at all. We just sat there for about 45 minutes while they played Umbrella, It's Raining Men, I Love a Rainy Night...you get the picture. Reminded me of that Gary Allen song 'Songs About Rain'. Kind of funny.

They never started the game back up so we ended up leaving in search of food. I had heard Newbury Street had lots of good restaurants so we headed that way and went to basically the first place we saw because it was still raining. We were exhausted so we headed back to the hotel and went straight to bed.

Next up...Harvard and Home...and I promise to write it soon. =)

Here's a pic of Jason at Fenway...

IMG_1156.JPG

No comments:

Driving Up to Mount Cook

After a wonderful and too short time in Wellington, the next morning we boarded a plane to Queenstown.  Now, the whole time we had either be...