Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I Think I'll Go to Boston...

Ok, honestly, how many times have I said that in the last few days? Probably a hundred. I can't help it! I have never been to Boston and what better place to start my blog than in a city where I am alone and have never been before? Traveling period is one of my favorite things. Traveling ALONE is a great and totally different experience. I think I am more adventurous when I am alone. I am more likely to get out and do things and meet people. I mean who wants to sit alone in a hotel room after a day of learning about new computer software? Trust me, it isn't as fun as it sounds. ;)

Anyway, I digress. Let's talk about my trip. I am not IN Boston for the few days of my class. I am staying in Bedford, which is just north of Boston. When I got to the airport I got my rental car (actually they were out of cars so I am driving a mini van! It is the biggest car I have ever seen let alone driven) and headed to Bedford. I head north on 93 and then exit when what should I see? A giant mall, next to a giant AMC theater, next to a giant Barnes and Noble. Next to that is a Chili's and a Macaroni Grill. I am thinking 'great, I have flown to Massachusetts to go to training in Frisco'. I got to the Doubletree - yes I did book here solely for the fresh baked cookies - and holed up in my room. However, it turns out I was completely mistaken. I have gotten lost about ten times in the last 24 hours and I have found that this area is beautiful! Once you head down the road just a very little bit, it turns out this part of the world is sort of exactly what you would imagine but never really believe that it is like that. All the houses are cute little frame houses on about an acre of land on windy, hilly roads, surrounded by woods. I seriously feel like I am in a scene from Little Women, except for the great, giant mini van I am driving.

So anyway, I finally find my way around, and I really do like my training class. Normally people think of the IT world as a bunch of socially inept people who want nothing more than to write COBOL in their spare time. Let's be honest, that is how I think of it sometimes - and I am not always mistaken. But most of the time I find that I easily make friends with the people in my training classes and I usually find it sad to leave, knowing I will most likely never see these people again. I just got back from a dinner with everyone in my class. We ate at this Brazilian seafood place that was completely delicious. I had this lemon risotto on top of sauteed spinach surrounded by scallops. I love risotto. Makes me anxious to go to Italy. Ahhh Italy. I can't wait.

Ok, back to the States for a sec. So Jason (that's my husband) is coming to meet me on Thursday and we are moving to Boston proper and exploring for a few days. I probably won't do much until then. Everything I have looked at doing around here - Minute Man National Park, Louisa May Alcott's house, etc - closes by the time I am out of training. =( So I will probably just eat more seafood until he gets here. Until then...Arrivederci!

No comments:

Driving Up to Mount Cook

After a wonderful and too short time in Wellington, the next morning we boarded a plane to Queenstown.  Now, the whole time we had either be...