Thursday, January 22, 2009

Movie News From Today

So this morning they announced the Oscar nominations. I have to say this year I was not quite as vested in who got nominated simply because I have not seen as many of the movies that were expected to be nominated. I don't know if they just have all come out too recently, or if I have just been slacking on my movie watching responsibilities. Jason and I have gone to see several in the past weeks such as Slumdog Millionaire and The Wrestler, but other than that I am way behind.

However, I did have one movie that stood out for me as one of the best movies I have seen in a very long time for so many reasons and my only hope today was that it would get nominated for Best Picture. This movie is The Dark Knight. I wrote some about how much I loved it in one of my August posts, but I just have to quickly recap how awesome this movie is. It has everything. Let's start with the script - smart, exciting, scary, romantic, funny and really made you think about some deeper moral issues. Definitely a step above most superhero stories. The cast - I dare you to name one of the main characters that was not amazing in his or her role. You can't do it! Perfect casting, amazing acting. Other than that there is the fact that this movie was beautifully shot and Christopher Nolan (the director) is a genius. I have read so much about the stunts on this movie and how they were done. I am not 100% sure how much of the film was real and what was CGI, but I know some things that you might see in a (much) lesser movie such as a Transporter series or something, such as an 18 wheeler flipping over end to end, would have been done digitally. Not this movie! It was the real deal baby. Anyway, I will stop gushing, but to say the least this movie was an accomplishment on so many levels that it just blows my mind that the Academy would not have shown it proper recognition. It's like if a movie is popular then it can't be good or something. So I am thinking my day is ruined when...

I am sitting here brooding over the Oscar snub and pouting cause that means most likely Gary Oldman will not be attending the Oscars, then lightning strikes. I go to E! Online to see what Kristin had to say about last night's Lost episode (SO excited that it is back on!!), and what headline do I see? "Veronica Mars Movie Finally in the Works". WHAT! If you know me very well, you probably know that Veronica Mars is a television show that I LOVED and it was canceled a couple of seasons ago. Much to my dismay. I own all three season box sets on DVD and I seriously never buy TV shows on DVD. But I have watched them from beginning to end at least twice and I just love the show. I love Kristin Bell and I want Logan, I mean Jason Dohring, to be my boyfriend. Well, if I wasn't married. =) So you can imagine my excitement to see this news. Rob Thomas, creator of VM, not lead singer of Matchbox 20, has apparently been working on a script, and his latest TV show Cupid had fewer episodes ordered than he had hoped, so he now has time to work on it! So anyway, basically within ten minutes of each other I was totally pissed and then super elated. Now I am just tired. I think that third trimester is really kicking in cause I am so dang tired!

No comments:

Driving Up to Mount Cook

After a wonderful and too short time in Wellington, the next morning we boarded a plane to Queenstown.  Now, the whole time we had either be...