Sunday, March 28, 2010

Green Thumb Weekend

You know how they say people are afraid of or don't like what they don't know? I feel that is me and gardening. I always think I don't like doing it, but I believe it is only because I have no idea what I am doing. Well, I definitely don't like pulling weeds, but I think if I knew more about the actual gardening part, I would really enjoy it. I mean I like flowers. I like fruits and vegetables and herbs. All of these things grow in a garden right? I just need to figure out how to get them to do that.

Anyway, the point is I spent the weekend (or at least the times while Bella was asleep) gardening. I hadn't really done any in a long time because I was pregnant forever and then since Bella has been around I just haven't had time. So our flower bed was overgrown with weeds, we have one dead rose bush and on top of that there were dead leaves and branches everywhere. So the task seemed daunting and I was not exactly anxious to get started. But I got up and went to Calloway's on Saturday morning and had to find a poor person there to drill with questions about what kind of fertilizer/flowers/soil/herbs/plants/pots I needed. I left with a trunk full of stuff and spent the morning pulling up weeds. Once that was done I have to say I enjoyed the rest. I still don't know if the flowers and herbs I bought will grow because of the amount of sunlight/soil/food they need etc. But I do know that right this second they look pretty. I took some pictures because I was so proud of myself. See for yourself!

Here are the flowers I planted in the front yard. You have to imagine that this was all huge crazy weeds a few hours before! I think they are petunias?


I have had this pot sitting outside on my front porch forEVER because I planted Impatiens in them and they decided they would rather die than live on my front porch. Let's see if these Begonias feel the same.


This is my new herb garden. There were two rose bushes, but one was dead so I dug it out. The big rosemary bush was already there, but now there is sage, thyme, basil, chives and parsley.


The basil...


Everything else...

I hope they grow fast...I hate paying $2 a pop every time I need fresh herbs!

By the way, I am not a huge fan of the camera I have. It could be I am not using it correctly, but the edges of my pictures always seem fuzzy. So I apologize for the poor quality, but you get the idea. =)

Wish me luck with my new endeavor. If you have any advice please pass it my way!

No comments:

Driving Up to Mount Cook

After a wonderful and too short time in Wellington, the next morning we boarded a plane to Queenstown.  Now, the whole time we had either be...