Friday, March 19, 2010

Day 2 at Disneyland

I apologize for taking so long to get to Day 2! If you can't tell, I am catching up on my blogging tonight, so here we go!

The second day we went to the California Adventure theme park. We actually went to this theme park about 4 months after it opened back in 2001 and didn't love it. So we were anxious to see how it had improved. First, we made a stop at DTD to get breakfast at La Brea bakery. I heard they had good scones, so I had to check it out for myself. The scones were good, but my moms homemade granola and strawberries were better!

Soarin' opened early that day and since we happened to be there right when it opened we got right on and rode. LOVE that ride. Every time it is over I just want to clap.

Then we headed to Toy Story Mania. It is a 3D ride and Mom was ready...

Mom waited for me while I rode California Screamin'. It goes upside down and she can't do it. It is a really great roller coaster, though. Very old school, kind of reminds me of the Judge Roy Scream, only WAY better. Then it was off to ride the big Mickey ferris wheel. We rode with another couple who was nice enough to take our picture...

My mom is really into landscaping and flowers and stuff, and we kept noticing how beautiful all of the landscaping was! I think in California things just grow well since it is so temperate all year. These are just some pretty flowers we saw.


It was supposed to rain this day so we had kind of written off riding the Grizzly River Run rapid ride, but it hadn't rained a drop and really wasn't that cold so we decided to don our ponchos and go for it! We got a little wet, but the A&M poncho saved the day.


Mom had been craving kettle corn, so we went on a pilgrimage all over until we found some. It was worth it.
Now came the highlight of my day. The Tower of Terror is my favorite ride at Walt Disney World. I love that feeling of dropping and I love spooky stuff, so this is the perfect ride to me. We went to Disney World when I was in high school and it had just opened so we were all going to ride it. My mom is severely claustrophobic and she ended up chickening out at the last minute. I have told her so many times I thought she would like it and described to her over and over how you aren't in an enclosed space etc. I still did not think she would ride it, but at the last minute she gathered all her courage and rode! The whole time I was worried that she was miserable, but after it was over she gave me a big thumbs up and said she LOVED it! YEAAA!! So we got some fastpasses and rode it again later. Way to go mom!

After ToT we went to see the Alladin show. Now I have to say that the shows in the parks are usually my least favorite thing. It doesn't matter how good they are. I just hardly ever go see them. I mean I have seen the movies and I know the songs and I just don't need to see it acted out for me ya know? But I had read that this one was not to be missed. Even then I still almost skipped it, but I was so glad we didn't! It was in a big theater and they had the magic carpet flying out over the audience. The genie really made the show, though. He was so funny and they had a lot of really current type jokes in the show so that made it even more enjoyable. I would highly recommend it if you go!

We were pretty much done with all the rides and hadn't decided what to do for dinner. We had reservations for Napa Rose - which is supposed to be THE best place to eat in Disneyland - for the next night, but we had kind of thought we might head back to the room early and watch the Oscars. So we decided to go that night and see if there was any chance of getting in. We waited at the bar for an hour for a no show reservation and nothing. So we finally just ordered at the bar, which was full service anyway. IT. WAS. SO. GOOD. I had this mushroom ravioli in a truffle butter sauce on a bed of sauteed vegetables. Holy cow it was so good. You must eat there if you go.

Dinner lasted probably two hours so we were stuffed and tired by the end of it. We were so lucky the rain held off all day until we went to dinner. Then it rained while we ate and stopped by the time we left. Thanks rain! We crawled in to bed and rested up for our last day at the parks. =(

No comments:

Driving Up to Mount Cook

After a wonderful and too short time in Wellington, the next morning we boarded a plane to Queenstown.  Now, the whole time we had either be...